In northern part of China, one of the traditional snacks is called “Yuan Xiao”, which is a seasonal desert during the Lantern Festival. But in the South, people call it “Tang Yuan”, which could be translated as “sticky rice ball”.
In Kunming, there is a special cook method of Tangyuan. The only different with the normal way is bean flour. After the Tangyuan is cooked crumb with bean flour and add with brown sugar syrup. The bean flour give a special layer taste of Tangyuan, also reduced the sweetens of fillings.
If the Tangyuan is a food for Lantern Festival, the Doumian Tangyuan is a street snacks in Kunming. You can find it any the rice noodle restaurants. Locals is really like it special taste.
How to cook Sticky rice balls with bean flour at home ?
You can purchase fast-freeze sticky rice balls at supermarket, choose the filling you like.
1. Add freeze sticky rice balls into boiled water for about 8-10 minutes.
2. take them out into the bowl.
3. Put some yellow bean flour into the pan, and keep stirring until the flavor released.
4. Add two spoons of brown sugar into a small bowl, add some hot water to make the brown sugar become syrup.
5. Put all the sticky rice balls into the bowl with the yellow bean flour and make sure that each of them is coated evenly, and add the brown sugar syrup on top.