By lifetime efforts of generations of Hani people and continuous and endless establishments for more than 1300 years, 170,000 Mu of terraced fields are developed, with top level of terrace over 3,000 steps and terrace slope ranging between 15 and 75 degrees, that is the Yuanyang Terraces carved by the earth.
Yuanyang Terraces, located in the southern part of Ailao Mountain, are masterpieces left by the Hani people for generations, the terraced fields are layered based on special terrain and are extremely spectacular. Yuanyang Terraces are mainly composed of Bada Resort, Laohuzui Resort, Duoyishu Resort and Qingkou Resort. The purposes of visiting Yuanyang Terraces are to view magnificent sunrise and sunset on the terraced fields and unique customs of the Hani village.
Normally the locals recommend to appreciate the sunrise in Duoyishu Resort, sunset in Laohuzui Resort, cloudy fairyland in Qingkou and sunset and cluster of clouds in Bada Resort.
There are four unique characters of Yuanyang Terraces
First uniqueness: The terraced fields in large areas and different shapes continuously connected into clusters, and the area of each cluster is up to thousand Mu;
Second uniqueness: The terraced fields are featured with steep terrain, and the terraced fields are visible from the gentle slope of 15 degrees to the cliff of 75 degrees;
Third uniqueness: There are many levels of steps, and over 3,000 steps may be developed on one slope to maximum extent;
Fourth uniqueness: The terraced fields have high altitude, and the terraced fields extend from the valley to the mountains with the altitude over 2,000 meters, hitting maximum limit of rice growth.
It is the best season to visit Yuanyang terraced fields in January and February. However, average temperature in Yuanyang may reach 12 degrees even in winter. In winter, the sunrise and sunset in Yuanyang Terraces are magnificent and splendid, and the wonderland formed from clusters of clouds further become fascinating.
The 170,000-Mu terraced landscape of Hani people in Yuanyang County, Honghe Prefecture, Yunnan Province will start its utmost enchanting model in every Spring and Winter. Everything, including the terraced fields filled with water, changeable cluster of clouds and extremely comfortable and warm sun, are dizzying. The cluster of clouds is usually seen before and after the Spring Festival. The wild cherry blossoms, wild kapok blossoms, wild peach blossoms and birchleaf pear blossoms bloom in red and white over the mountains before and after the Lantern Festival, contributing a spectacular scenery.
1. Public transport: Kunming-Yuanyang shuttle bus from Kunming South Bus Terminal, 139 Yuan/person, 5-6 hours of driving. The minibus with the fare at 5-10 Yuan is available from Xinjie Town to gates of attractions.
2. Chartered bus: The one-day terrace tour via chartered bus starting from former county seat will cost around 300 Yuan, and it will cost about 100 Yuan to visit Laohuzui; approximately 150-200 Yuan/half day to visit Duoyishu for watching the sunrise, with the distance of about 40 kilometers and one hour of driving.
3. Self-driving: About one hour of driving from Yuanyang County - S214 - Yuanyang Terraces with the distance of about 40 kilometers.
1. One Day Pass: Full-price ticket of 100 Yuan/person, half-price ticket of 50 Yuan/person (including Qingkou Customs Village, Laohuzui Resort, Bada Resort)
2. Multi-Day Pass: Full-price ticket of 180 Yuan/person, half-price ticket of 90 Yuan/person (access to Qingkou Customs Village, Laohugou Resort, Bada Resort and Duoyishu Resort with the ticket within 10 days)
3. Annual Pass: Full-price ticket of 360 Yuan/person, half-price ticket of 180 Yuan/person (access to Qingkou Customs Village, Laohugou Resort, Bada Resort and Duoyishu Resort with the ticket within 1 year)
Qingkou Hani Customs Village, located in Yuanyang Terraces National Wetland Park and the core area which is applied for the list of World Cultural Heritage, is 8 kilometers away from former county seat (Xinjie Town). It is reserved with complete ecological system jointly composed of the "forest, water system, cottage and terrace". The Hani nationality is featured with distinct folk customs, distinctive national culture and unique production and lifestyle. The terraced fields' cluster of clouds and ancient “mushroom houses” are integrated, contributing to a model for rational use of natural resources for agricultural development.